Friday, November 23, 2007

Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005

We've met several significant moments when we change ourselves totally. It may be a good or bad change for our lives. In the speech he mentioned 3 very important times in his life. each period have a great impact on his life. but In my opinion, his second story was the most important moment in his life. If he hadn't loved his job, he would've not started over, and there would not be now steve jobs stanford and apple company, but because he loved what he was doing even when he got fired, he started over and succeeded in his job. He addressed "love what you're doing and if you haven't found what you live to do yet, keep looking for it. Don't settle." It was very impressive massage for me. I think it's very important to love what I'm doing, for unless I enjoyed what I'm doing it'll be very hard to keep doing that and be happy. these days many people choose their future according to many other reasons like how much money they can make, social status, but the more important thing is whether or not I really love my job and what I'm doing now. As far as I'm concerned, successful person is the person who are satisfied with the state of thier lives and enjoy their lives, not the person who makes lots of money, not the person who has the high status in the society because even if their lives were said successful lives by others, they could not succeed in their own personal lives and be happy about themselves. Therefore we should love what we're doing in order to be successful in our lives.
Back to his speech, another important moment for him was when he dropped out of the college. In some point of view, it could've influeced him very badly. However, thanks to this he could take the class what he was interested in. As a result, he invented fascinating computer. In my viewpoint, he could succeed becuse he wasn't depressed about it. Rather, he took advantage of it
In Korea, every korean man have to serve in the army. I went to the army as well and finished my military service this year , but when I came out of the army, I had no idea how it changed me and what I were like if I hadn't entered the army. There are many advantage and disadvantage in every event that has happened to you. We don't know which one is bigger, advantage or disadvantage. we can only trust that it changed me positively. As in his speech, we can't connect current factors with our future, looking forward , which means we can't predict how this will influence me in the future. We can only look backward and connect our past with current effect. So we should believe that current factors we have now will change my life well then you'll have confidence to follow your heart.
Last, he dealt with "Death". He almost met death in his past and it changed him a lot. Daily we spend a lot of time pointlessly. I also spent a lot of time doing something I wasn't sure if I really liked it because I hadn't even tried to find what I loved to do, and even now I'm not sure whether what I'm doing now is what I love to do, but different thing is that I'm keeping looking for it and follow my heart. Our time is limited, so we should concentrate on doing what you love to do. There's a good expression. "It's no use crying over spilt the milk." It means it's pointless to regret later on.

So we shouldn't waste time living someone else's life. We should follow our heart instead.

2 comments:

LLL ora said...

Your opinion is interestingbecause you illustrate practical situations his word work. I think you spent good time during army term. It depends on you, whether army term makes you better or not. As you said, you get independent spirits during army term. I wonder if there is compulsory army system in Japan, young Japanese would have gotten more better. Sorry, I'm kidding.

Cynthia said...

I really impressed by your organized about Steve’s speech. You have mentioned lots of things that I had never considered before. Different people have different viewpoint about everything. I think you will finally know what you have got and learn from you join up experience, no matter it is bad or good, it will still helps you a lot. ^ ^